Sunday, May 14, 2017

I'm My Own Case Manager

Since receiving the news on Wednesday and Thursday, I have been mainly resting and processing. After talking things over with my Peace Corps post-service case manager on Friday, I have a plan and a list for the next steps, including filing for insurance and disability programs, which means getting M.D. statements, ordering medical records, and being my own medical case manager.

A friend said recently, "It's too bad you still have all of your marbles because otherwise someone would be appointed to do that for you".  Actually, I am grateful to be working on this stuff since I am a control freak and lack trust that someone else would get the job done. Besides that, it's a distraction and something to do.  And dealing with the medical records department at Maine Medical Center is a great test of patience, so I get to stay busy and try to be a better person all at once. 

So--today I will start researching programs, and on Monday will be sending emails and making phone calls.





7 comments:

  1. So good that you have the experience and patience to do all this footwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good that you have the experience and patience to do all this footwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And who has better case management skills! I was thinking about this recently. I'm glad you know what to do, most people would be stymied on the first call. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am confident that you are going to get those institutions better organized, and when they process your applications all will work on fine. If I have the need, I will definitely contact Gracie Em, because I know that the job will be done well and completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might have to prod the docs along in getting statements from them...we struggled with that for dad, put that first on the list--seems to take them a while. Good luck with all of that...it can be daunting but I know you will know how to navigate it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leave it to you to find peace in doing all this yourself Gracie, please ask for help when you need it! ��I admire you so much, love you!

    ReplyDelete